Monday, December 29, 2008

One Month Old (First Christmas)

Jude is just over one month old (five weeks). Everyone who sees him says "Oooooh, he's so TINY." Meanwhile I'm thinking he's huge, and every other baby who is two months old or older looks gigantic to me. I can hardly believe he'll be much bigger than he is now, let alone have big muscles, a beard and other testosterone-related things someday. For now he's my little man, and I'm trying to savor every day that he is "tiny".

Physically, Jude's eyelashes are now noticeable and he is finally growing some eyebrows. Grandma Jan (Klooster) says she thinks he'll have a unibrow. We shall see -- it runs in the family. His cheeks, legs and arms are getting a little chubbier, which I'm thrilled about.

Day by day he is developing new abilities. At one month he is focusing on faces, lights and objects for longer periods of time and opening his mouth to express himself. He can hold his head up for about 20 seconds. He also flexes his legs and "stands" with support. We're not 100% sure about this, but we think I may have gotten his first smile just over a week ago when I was singing him his song ("Hey Jude" of course, by the Beatles). Since then Jono has gotten about four of them, and I'm having a dry spell. I think when he hears my voice right now, or even smells me, he mainly thinks "boob". So rather than smiling he gets his game face on for nursing. It's hard to say for sure.

He has just started making some irresistable noises -- the pre-cursors to cooing I suppose. When I hear him make one I nibble his face promptly because it's so cute. He's also started some not-so-cute noises. Two days ago he made a shrill scream that he's been using frequently since to declare his discontent with something. It's piercing and kind of girly. I tell him he's being a diva like his dad - ha. I laugh now, but when he does it in the middle of the night it isn't that amusing.

Anyway, here are some pics of Jude's first Christmas. We spent Christmas Day in Cadillac this year with the Klooster's. The Geertsma's and Holtvluwer/Lehman's each got him for a day as well.

Happy New Year people. It's going to be good.



3 comments:

Jan Lehman said...

OK - NOW I'm jealous! I've seen more of his eyes in your blog than I have in person! Not Fair! Having seen you all on Sunday, I know you had a great, if not well traveled, first Christmas with Jude. We were honored to have the three of you as well as Uncle Joel and Aunt Jessie for two days in a row! Now that the holidays are almost over, can't wait to spend some quality, one on one time with the little man! (Hint hint - I'm free most Fridays!) mom lehman

Kirsten Gardzelewski said...

Looks like someone's Daddy adores him!:) How precious are those pictures!?

Emily said...

Oh, Jono is totally in love with him. It's the best thing ever :)