Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Long, Slow Wean


Jude decided to wean himself from breastfeeding yesterday.

It wasn't as sudden as that sounds, I guess. We cut down at nine months when I went back to work, and he started losing interest over a month ago. For the past week we'd just been going through the motions.

Yesterday I was finally able to admit to myself that he had more or less turned down both of my offers. My production is low now, and he doesn't have time for it. The toys on the floor are competing for his attention, and I'm not quite as colorful or fun to throw around the room as they are.

He is telling me it's time.

Meanwhile he's a real champ in the solid-food department. He stuffs his face and stores it in his cheeks for later. I'll see him chewing something an hour after dinner and fish it out in a panic, only to realize it's the same piece of corn he'd been gnawing on while we cleared the table. Naughty.

Last night I put both of my nursing brassieres into the wash for the last time. They have been loyal and dear under-garments over the past year, and throwing them into the laundry basket felt sad. Jono admitted he felt weird about it too, probably because it means Jude isn't so much of a baby any more.

My goal was 12 months though, and we made it. I feel good about it. Yay for us :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job Em! 12 months is a long time...for me anyway. Jude is looking so big compared to the last time I saw him! -Julie K.

j and r said...

I remember the feeling of loss ... :)
It goes away.
12 months is awesome.
Jude is growing up and doing what he needs ... weird, though, this breaking away of something so dear. Be prepared. It's the first of many. How God intended it to be. Such a co-mingling, though, of missing the old and being glad for the growth and new.
Love you. Be strong. Let go. :)

Jan

Emily said...

Thanks guys. You said it Jan: "missing the old and being glad for the growth and new."

Turns out he isn't 100% done just yet. He's still been wanting to nurse first thing in the morning for the past couple of days. But I think even that will be over with very soon.

greatgrandma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Belinda said...

All "old" nursing mothers remember - and understand your bittersweet feelings. No other bond is like it. You done good, Emy :)!

Emily said...

Thanks Mom :)

Kirsten Gardzelewski said...

Same thing happened at our house 1 week after Asher's 1st bday. I felt the same way but have been envied by many of my mommy friends who are having a REALLY hard time weaning. Some of their little ones are close to 2 now, that doesn't seem better at all. I guess we probably had it a lot easier!:) I just kept telling myself that there will be more babies (or at least 1 more baby) in our house someday. I completely understand though, it feels like a step away from babyhood and closer to toddlerhood.

Vintage Dutch Girl said...

Lil Chick also JUST finished nursing. We too made the 12 month mark - yay for us! The last month was more my encouraging than her asking, but I was determined to get to a year.

Now the only issue is surviving the hormonal shifts and rebalancing...and can I say they are SIGNIFICANT!

Emily said...

Yay for you! I'm proud of all moms who make it 12 months or beyond.

Re: hormone issues. Really? Uh-oh.

So you're saying I may have more blogging fodder soon (a.k.a. "hormonal freak-out session/long-suffering husband" post). Hmm. Hope not.

Malissa Eekhoff said...

Yay for nursing for a year Em! Definitely the end of a stage and more independence for both of you. Mixed feelings for sure, as with so many more developments that will continue to happen whether you are ready for them or not!

Emily said...

I know! Thanks Mal. And you've just started Round 3 with Harper. Impressed, as always ;)

The Real Domestic Diva said...

just letting you know about Zoey's Closet. An up and coming baby boutique without the high prices. www.zoeyscloset.blogspot.com