Monday, August 23, 2010

Captain Underpants

I turned from folding t-shirts to find him rummaging through my sock and underwear drawer, chattering to himself. Smirking, I went about my business, putting clean laundry back in its place.

A few minutes later I glanced at him again. He had a pair of my strawberry-speckled underpants on his head, a bit of his light-brown hair poking out from a leg hole. He was looking at me, eyes wide and twinkling, hands at his sides, the corners of his mouth waiting for me to notice.

"Hat," he said proudly, a hint of glee in his voice.

I couldn't resist. I went to the drawer, chose a peach-colored pair and put it on my head.

"Hat," I said, echoing him.

Our faces were inches from each other, gazes locked, a pair of underpants on each of our heads. We were giving each other the same intense look and marveling at how hilarious we were.

I was thinking in that moment (and in many moments before and since)...

i love this boy.

(Jude and me, a Spring or two ago)

5 comments:

Tyler James said...

amazing

Emily said...

Ty, you would've loved this scene.

j and r said...

precious

Jan Lehman said...

And it just gets better and more fun! What a picture in MY head! Spending so much time with Jude the last few days has been a real joy and a lot of wonderment at how smart this little man is.

Belinda said...

L..o...v...e...i...t!!!