Monday, January 19, 2009

Baby Wearing

Jude is already a wee bit spoiled. He's so used to being held by everyone that he doesn't want to be put down. For a couple of days last week I was feeling exasperated because I couldn't get anything done. He would fuss in his carseat, fuss in his buzzy seat, and fuss in his swing. The only place he didn't fuss was in my arms. And as cute as he is, sitting around all day holding him was getting a little boring.

My saving grace: BABY WEARING. Wearing your child involves wrapping him up close against your body using a long bolt of cloth. I wrap the cloth around my hips, across my back and shoulders, and then tie it tightly around my waist. Then I form a pocket out of one of the sections of cloth and put Jude into it. I wrap him up tightly using the surrounding sections. He's snug as a bug, and we both love it. Jude because he is swaddled, secure and warm against his mom, and me because my hands are free and I can do things, plus I know where he is at all times (and can occasionally nuzzle the top of his down-covered head.) He usually zonks out within minutes of being put into the wrap, lulled to sleep by the warmth, my heartbeat, and the rhythm of my footsteps going up and down the stairs.

I think it's more hip than your typical baby carrier. (I told my friend Kristen it's really important I look hip while I'm home all day with the baby and the dog). I highly recommend these things to all new parents. Even guys look cool in them, trust me. I can't wait until it warms up a bit and we can actually venture outdoors in this thing. I plan on taking him on lots of hikes around town and through the woods in it.

Meanwhile I'll tromp around the house and look out the window occasionally. It was so cold last week that I literally did not set foot outside with Jude for about six days straight, except for one time when one of my feet touched the back deck as I took the trash out. Jono thought that was pretty funny. And it's definitely a first for me.


5 comments:

Kirsten Gardzelewski said...

Ummm, excuse me...how do you look so dang good after just having a baby already? Seriously, you look a adorable in your baby wrap!!!!

Jan Lehman said...

Kirsten - must be all that running up and down the steps AND the efforts to look cool for Jude, Jono and Mona - that's what I call exercise!

And who wouldn't want the "Snuggeled Life of Jude"!?

Emily - I"m looking forward to spending some quality time with Jude tomorrow afternoon.

Malissa Eekhoff said...

Hey Em, what kind/brand of wrap did you decide on?

Emily said...

Mal,
It's a Moby D. My mom got it for me. I'm obviously happy with it :)

Emily said...

Thanks Kirsten! You're too kind :)

And Mom L, I'm looking forward to it too, especially the professional massage part - ha!