Friday, May 8, 2009

Jude in a Hat (@Tulip Festival)

Though I've received a hat or two since my last post, this one is truly the last Jude in a Hat installment (unless I find myself rolling in hats again in a few months... then it might make a comeback).

This is Jude in a little Dutch hat. Yes, I finally caved and owned up to part of my heritage. I honestly never thought I would be dressing my progeny in Dutchy things, but here I am doing it. I have a weakness for squeezing Jude into outfits that make him look fatter/shorter/koosier, so there you go.

My parents are now living in their third town that annually holds a Tulip Festival, so of course we had to partake in the festivities. (And yes, as a result of this Dutchy hometown-hopping, we love to play Dutch Bingo.) We went to the "kinder parade" to watch my dad and his fifth grade class march. They all dress up in Dutch costumes and each class has a gimmick. One section was "Dutch Art" and they walked with banners of paintings by Van Gogh, Rembrandt and Vermeer. (One thing I'm proud of being Dutch for is how meticulous they are, which has produced some serious artistic genius.) Another section dressed up as pigs and carried vats of fake cheese around. My dad's class pushed themselves along on scooters and did scooter tricks. It's all very quirky.

The teachers take up the rear of each section to make sure no one goofs off or falls behind and gets trampled by a marching band. Dad had been begging me for a week to let him carry Jude in the parade, but I balked at first because I thought he might go deaf from the drums and trumpets and what-not. Dad assured me there were no bands marching behind his class, so I agreed.

What followed was hilarious. My mom and I ran alongside Dad and his class, so we witnessed the crowd (especially the above-60 set) flipping out over the baby in the Dutch costume. Old folks got up out of their seats, screamed and clapped hysterically as they passed. It was like the crowd was doing the wave as Rose Park's fifth grade made its way down the route. Dad had the biggest grin on his face and kept pointing at Jude and saying "This is my grandson!!" to anyone who glanced in his direction. Hee hee!

Anyway, I'm sure you're chomping at the bit to see pictures and video of this (I mainly refer to Jude's extended family), so here are some.


To wrap this one up, I need to tell you what our new Friday installment will be. It's called Jude Makes a Discovery. Here is the first one:

Jude Discovers a Yellow Tulip
(see elbow dimples)

No comments: