Friday, September 23, 2011

Stay this way


Jude just got his first National Geographic subscription from his Grandma Lehman.  It's a special edition for small children.  His first issue had a red fox on the cover, and it included wild-animal trading cards that I tore out and cut up for him.  He keeps them on the shelf of his art easel, and rediscovers them there once in awhile.

He has a favorite card.  It's a photo of a mouse balancing itself between two blades of grass. 

"Look at his little eyes," Jude says as he holds the card lovingly.  "He is very little.  He is very koosy."  Then he rubs his cheek on the card to koos the mouse.

I love that he loves that mouse trading card.  I love how he holds it and talks to it.  I love how he wanted to take it to Donna's the other day and show the other kids, which he did the moment we walked into the door.  "Ellery!  Look at my little mouse!"  Then he carefully placed it inside his diaper bag so that it wouldn't get lost at daycare.

Can I just keep him in this mode, please?  A time when a mouse picture was his treasured possession?  When he had it in his head that he could snuggle the mouse just by rubbing a piece of cardboard on his face?

To be fair, this behavior would be odd in an adult male.  But in the mode I'm in right now, I dread the day he shows more fascination for baseball cards than for mouse ones.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wondering, Emily, is the mouse "gray"? (inside family joke)

Emily said...

It's more the color of a hamster (orange-ish). Sorry :)

Brenda said...

I love that you share these especially sweet tidbits Emily!

Anonymous said...

Hmm..a mouse that's orange.

Emily said...

They're the things I don't want to forget about him!

j and r said...

Ah, good job, Grandma Lehman. We received in the mail an advertisement for that Nat Geo little one's edition, and I thougt: What a great present for Jude and then didn't get on it right away! So, lovely that he has it and will enjoy it anew each month. :)

Anonymous said...

My heart is aching. For those days when my "big ones" were "little ones" again like Jude. But also aching from joy that God gives us little precious grandchildren so we can enjoy these kinds of moments again. And also gives me a wise and talented daughter who takes the time to soak these moments in and write them down in such an eloquent way.