Wednesday, November 28, 2012

chunky chicken

He's hangry.

As I've said before, Theo spends much of his free time getting his chub on. He does this fake whine whenever he sees, smells or senses food in the area, scrunching up his eyes and showing me his gappy front teeth. Then he says ma-ma over and over until I deliver. It's synonymous with food, and it's the only time he says it (so far).

In the past I've written on here about how scrawny he was at first after being born three weeks early and developing two big food sensitivities (plus being a poor breast-feeder). This photo at two months always makes me shudder because of how gaunt he looks. For most of his baby-hood, he wasn't even showing up on the weight chart.


At his nine month check-up I rejoiced as I was told he had made it to the FIFTH percentile for weight. After months of worrying about him getting enough calories - I had been told he wasn't by the doc - I felt victorious. I had been feeding him solids liberally since six months to help him catch up.

Three months later at his 12-month check-up, I would not have predicted Theo would be as chunky as he is now. He has cellulite, a big rear-end and cankles, which I am happy to point out to many, proud mama that I am. There are matching chub rolls over his knees, and his cheeks expand an inch or so from his face. He is now a pudgy 21 pounds, in the 25th percentile for weight and the 50th for height. Yay, Theo!

All adjectives for food that makes my mouth water come to mind. (Is that weird?) My dad used to call Tyler Chunky Tuna, and I just grew my own version.

No comments: