Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Chi-town

We actually went on a trip last weekend: a trip out of Michigan. It's been a good long while with the move and the whole childbirth and newborn thing we've been engaging ourselves in lately. It was Jude's first time out of the state. We went to see our friend Sarah for her birthday (she turned 30, and I'm almost 29...whoa...) and our other friends Jan and Becky. I didn't take many pictures, but here are a few:

Rising, shining in Sarah's apartment...

I have no idea why this picture is popping in here upside down, but I'm posting it anyway because it's funny. Sarah's cat Bolyn was really into Jude. He sat right next to him and curled his skinny tail gently around Jude's ear.

This is me with Bolyn, sporting my new 'do. I tried cutting it myself to save money - it was a disaster - so I had it fixed at an actual hair place, which I would now recommend to any cheap Dutch person, regardless of how broke they are. Now I have bangs for the first time since 7th grade. (Here's a post about girls with bangs on one of my fave blogs, SWPL. It's funny.)

On Saturday we went to Heartland Cafe for breakfast. Great place, but it really should be called Heartland Cafe for Pinkos. A local radio station was interviewing this chick near our table who was talking about Bush and Obama being co-conspirators for The Empire. At the attached gift shop next door they were selling Che Guevara t-shirts for toddlers, and the tags had pictures of a two-year-old with his fist raised for revolution - ha ha! (Never mind that Che executed hundreds of people. Not to mention he was against selling t-shirts and other capitalist schemes- ha.) 

 
They were a little too uptight for the flavor of our morning -- a good friend, a cute baby, and a giant breakfast burrito :)

Jan and Becky took us to Fat Willie's, a great BBQ joint, where I had my first beer in over a year. Paaaaartyyyyy!!!! Don't get too excited: it was a Pabst Blue Ribbon for $1.50. But the brisket was divine.

Having a kiddie in tow kind of changes things -- you can still go out, but not as spontaneously, and when you do people have completely different reactions to your presence. As we went into the BBQ place, two burly guys in urban-chic graffiti t-shirts stumbled all over themselves to get the door for me, and then bashfully peeked into Jude's carseat to get a look at him. As we waited in line, two twenty-something girls slobbered over him and talked about being jealous of their brother's pregnant girlfriend. Anyone will talk to you when you have a baby, and it's kind of endearing.

So that was our trip. Many more of those to come I hope. I don't want to stop having adventures because of our new life with Jude...I want to continue doing most of the stuff we used to do with Jude included. It'll make for a better childhood anyway. Come on Spring :)

1 comment:

Jan Lehman said...

I can't wait to send this to the Chicago Lehmans! Joel and MArcy lived just down the street and Monique worked there one summer. Jeff and I have had a few good meals there as well.