Friday, September 4, 2009

Working Girl

It's official. As of September 1, I was back to being a working girl.

This is nothing new. I've been working since I was 13. But I've had a golden nine months "off" now (all stay-at-home and work-at-home moms are laughing with me now), and it's time I started getting paid.

The first couple of mornings were the hardest. I didn't know when it would hit me, but suddenly it did as I gave Jude to Jono and turned around to grab my bag of work stuff. Hot tears. When Jono saw my face, he got them too. As I went out the door I waved. Jude stared at me with his mouth in typical Cheerio mode. His chubby arm stayed by his side.

By the time I sat down at my desk things were okay. How I felt about things this week changed by the hour.

When I got up those first couple of mornings to bacon and eggs on the table, I thought "Hmm. This is above and beyond." When I was making good progress on something at work I would think, "Hmm. I can see how some women can't do the stay-at-home thing." When I would get home and Jono would be making some exotic Indian dish for me, I would think, "Hmm. Not bad." When he cleaned up afterward, baked some blueberry muffins, made a batch of cookies, and packed me a mid-morning snack for the next day I thought, "Hmm. This is crazy. My husband is Susie Homemaker. And I LOVE it."

Then night would come, darkness would fall and I would start to get a little anxious. I worried Jude wouldn't reach for me any more. I worried my relationship with him will change; that I'd start feeling differently about him somehow, and that it wouldn't be as good. I worried about becoming the "secondary parent". I worried I'd lose confidence in parenting him because I don't see him all day.

This morning I woke up and it was low-drama Friday. I smooched Jude's cheek goodbye and left the house cool as a cucumber. After work I pulled into the driveway and he was in the front yard playing with my mom. I turned off the ignition as fast as I could, hopped out and peeked at him over the roof rack. He gave me the Cheerio mouth again and the bright little eyes starting to recognize and anticipate. We smiled big smiles at each other.

I scuttled around the back of the car, threw my bag and travel mug onto the sidewalk and ran for him -- he was doing the quick, excited breathing he does now when he sees me -- I scooped him up and it was like that moment in the movies when two people are embracing after running across a golden wheat field in slow motion. Except that one of us is a full-sized adult female and the other one is a short, chunky infant who can't walk.

Within seconds of our reunion, he started whining. To nurse of course. I am his personal milk-cow. But it's a sound I like to hear. Bubba still loves his mama.

So that's that. I'll be back to laughing hard when I watch The Office. As everyone knows, that show was made for people who work in one.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the article, Em. And, yes, WE CAN DO IT, and you ARE doing it, and you are doing a GREAT job of it. Because you are talented and capable and energetic and loving and insightful and resourceful. (Can you tell I am proud of you?) And being there for that moment of mutual admiration was priceless. P.S. Jude will ALWAYS love you - no matter what. And that love will only grow. Promise. (Except for maybe in the teenage years :).) Love Forever, Mom

Sarah said...

Proud of you. I feel the same way about your mom when I walk into work as you do about Jude when you come home from work :)

Brenda said...

Sniffle, tear wipe... I'm a sucker for a tender story. You're awesome! Love you, Ant

Jan Lehman said...

And another proud mom has to sign in - WAY TO GO JONO! There are several women who can claim credit for how Jono (and Joel) have turned out; Jan K, Grandma K, Mom L, Grandma H and all the great aunts on all sides of the family. (Men - kudos to you too, but this does seemt to be a female posting thing right now.) Last week in Cadillac, during the rain and close quarters, we could have been a poster family for extended families. Several generations from many different families came to celebrate the graduations of Joel and Jesse..........thanks and love to all!

Malissa Eekhoff said...

Em, there are so many stereotypes, expectations, assumptions etc. about stay-at-home moms, working moms..... any kind of mom. I really appreciate you sharing your experience and feelings so honestly and vulnerably (is that a word?). Jude has a great mommy!

Anonymous said...

I neglected to mention what an awesome husband my daughter has and what a wonderful father my grandson has :)! Thanks for all you do so naturally for your family, Jono. You really are one in a million!

Emily said...

Yep, Jono is pretty spectacular. What can I say - I can pick 'em.

Thanks everyone for all of your comments. We feel very supported and loved. You all are the best :)