Friday, October 14, 2011

He wants to get OUT

Jude and I were reading one of those old Richard Scarry books last night (his greatest thrill is finding Goldbug on each page), and I couldn't help but be distracted by my other young one, who was catapulting himself from one side of my womb to the other.  I paused in my reading.

"Jude.  Do you see that?"  I pointed to my mid-section.

"Huh," he said, glancing in the direction of my finger.  His attention held just long enough to see my stomach sway dramatically from one side to the other like the waves of the sea.

"Oh, I saw him move!" Jude said.  His eyes were big, so I knew he had seen it and wasn't just saying so.

"That's your baby brother."

He took another hesitant look at my belly.  "That baby brudder wants to get OUT," he proclaimed, with authority in his miniature voice.

I pictured Jude picturing a baby boy in there, all smooshed and claustrophobic, and how he must have had a twinge of empathy for him before he made the comment.

It's true, he's already cramped, but not so much that it has been deterring his movements yet.  Lately I've been filming my stomach when he really gets going, and it looks like one of those blow-up castles with 20 children inside.

I remember saying this of Jude as well, but I would guess K2 is even more active than he was.  Folks sitting across the room from me can see my abdomen shifting back and forth.  I've been sitting in staff meetings with one of my arms resting over top of my stomach, and he'll kick it so hard my arm jumps and falls into my lap.  People probably think I have a twitching disorder.

Though I find it hard to concentrate/sleep/ breathe these days with the three-ring circus going on inside of me, I'm hoping it's a good sign he's robust and healthy.  Preferably developing a few leg rolls.  Perhaps a fat bracelet.  I've put in my order for those, so we'll see what happens.  I have eight weeks left.

Considering the advent of Jude "Chicken Legs" Klooster almost three years ago at 6 pounds 10 ounces, I know I can't count on it, but one can dream.  If he's a little scrawny at first, I'll try not to complain if he wants to eat all night long.  (But I probably will, anyway.)

Love,
E.

6 comments:

Tyler James said...

awesome em

Belinda said...

Can't wait to coose that "baby brudder", whether he has chicken legs or very fat legs like some of his uncles had!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until Awnold comes out!

Emily said...

What about Wussell?

Anonymous said...

Is the name Stham?

Emily said...

No more clues!