Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A not-brown room

Calling myself out on this one... this post is classically stay-at-home-mom-ish. Oh well.

Jude moved into a new room months ago, and I just got around to taking a few pics of it the other day. It's the kind of room that a little boy lives in, with a real bed.  (In fact, I just went to check on him during his nap and found him sleeping under the bed.  Whatever works.)

I think every house has a word that describes how it feels when you walk in. Ours is probably earthy. Earth tones, Marushka silk screen canvases from the 70's, a smattering of mostly second-hand furniture that was made between the decades of 1920 and 1960.

I like old stuff, for sure, but in Jude's room I wanted to lighten it up a bit.  Because my only complaint about some parts of our house is that they're dominated by the same old-furniture brown color.

So... I made him a peaceful, vibrant, not-brown little nook to be in whenever he wants to. I pictured him in it, pushing his trucks around and making a motor sound with his mouth, paging through the books on his not-brown bookshelf.








It's my new favorite room in the house.

2 comments:

Jan Lehman said...

It's the perfect room for Jude!

Malissa Eekhoff said...

Your sense of decorating is so thoughtful Em. It's adorable.