Thursday, April 30, 2009

Birdies

One of the things we like about our new place is all of the enormous oak trees surrounding it. And the trees bring a large variety of birds -- a whole lot more than we ever got on Lowell St., which were mostly sparrows hanging out in our neighbor's bamboo. Sparrows = boring.

Here are a few that I saw just this morning over the span of an hour:

Rose-breasted Gross Beak
(There was a pack of them on the feeder - six at once!)


Cardinal and Rose Breasted Gross Beak hangin' out

Yellow Bellied Sap Sucker or a Red Bellied Woodpecker
(Too blurry to tell. Jan and Dad?)

After awhile this little dude planted himself on the feeder. A Baltimore Oriole. I was fumbling around for the camera like my life depended on it, because I knew Jono would flip out (he is the true bird watcher in this family).



And then there was this guy. Puh-leeeaaase. Move along.


Here are some that Jono has taken the past few days:

Tufted Tit Mouse
(Ha ha...best bird name ever. I make Jono repeat it more than once every time.)

Red Bellied Wood Pecker

I'm typically into watching fuzzier, fatter animals (like maybe groundhogs), but I think I could get into this birdwatching stuff too. Thanks to those Kloosters. But one thing I'll never do is drink my coffee black, so just forget about it.

;)

1 comment:

j and r said...

Em and Jono,

You are getting amazing birdies in your yard!!! I am excited.
And o yeah, that's a red-bellied woodpecker. We looked it up on the weekend. See the blurry red belly? I could never figure out that name because I really just saw only his red hed.

Good stuff.

And see what I have to write for the word verification??? psisins
Too funny.

Jan